Growing up in Tanzania, Africa, I felt a call to religious life. Since I was still 12 years old, I knew I had to wait. I began discerning more seriously when I was studying at a university. With much prayer and the help of spiritual director, the Lord made it clear that He was calling me to become a Franciscan. I came to know which community God was calling me to join. He connected me with someone who translated for the Sisters in their mission to Tanzania in the previous year. Through her help I was able to contact the community and entered in 2007.
Words of Encouragement
I want to encourage those who are discerning their call or already living outtheir call to:
• Detach yourselves from your own will. It may be difficult because we tend to cling to our own will, but with God’s help, this is possible.
• Be completely open to God’s will in your daily lives and in the future. We are at peace when we do His will.
• Immerse yourselves in prayer, seeking to know His plan for your lives. This may take time but, God does not delay. He has a perfect time for everything. Persevere in prayer, wait for the Lord, and be stouthearted. “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.”(Mt. 7: 7)
• Seek the help of a competent spiritual director.
• Go to different sources of information like websites and others and make an actual visit – convent, seminary,etc. in order to properly discern your vocation in life. God is pleased when we diligently seek His will.